crimp-on D-sub pin removal

joe heck trash3 at splab.cas.neu.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:31:43 CDT 2007

If the DB side of the adapter is like most that I've used, then if you
are VERY careful, you can use a pair of real good needlenose pliers,
squeeze just enough to make contact with the pin and push directly in.
This routine is definitely not for the mechanically challenged or faint
of heart.  It is very easy to slip sideways and severely bend the pin or
squeeze too hard and crush the pin.  In my early years I had a less than
wonderful result doing this, but I can do it pretty well now.

Nowadays I might consider making yet another adapter and rewire the
modular side by using a cat5 patch cord and a dual modular jack, wiring
the jack with the crosswires as necesary.  requires very little by the
way of tools, and keeps everything else original.

Joe Heck