Help identifying a capacitor

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Thu Jul 19 23:44:49 CDT 2007

Thanks for all of the help folks ...

As it happens, right after I started getting responses to my query on
the capacitor my email service went bonkers.  The virtual host somewhere
out in cyberspace where my email is processed had a non-virtual hardware
problem, thus impacting my ability to read and reply.  Things seem to be
back to normal now.

If anybody is interested I have a fairly good pinout for an ISA bus
adapter for a PCjr.

A friend of mine and I collaborated on a version in 2003 that 'almost'
worked for me, and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what the
problem was.  Recently I decided to revisit it and after the last two
days I figured out that even though the capacitors are probably nice,
the thing that was holding me back was the lack of an OSC signal from
the Jr.  The cards that I was using (SCSI cards) were dependent on it,
and we left that pin on the ISA slots not connected because we didn't
have that signal available.  An NE1000 Ethernet card (which does not use
OSC) is working fine on the system so the adapter we designed is 'close
enough' even with the capacitors.

(The adapter with the capacitors where the picture came from was a
commercially available adapter that I was reverse engineering to try to
find out what the problem with our homebrew adapter was.)

Thanks again,
Mike