AIX 3.2 Installation Media - anyone got a spare set?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 01:54:54 CDT 2007

Glen Slick wrote:
> I rescued some 1990 vintage RS/6000 7012 & 7013 boxes which I don't
> know much about yet.  It appears that AIX v3 is what originally would
> have been installed on these.  Anyone got a spare set of AIX 3.2
> installation media that I could use to get an OS loaded on these
> again, or know where I would have any luck finding this?
>
> A quick check of eBay turns up some V5 installation media for sale,
> but that would most likely choke on these old boxes and I don't see
> anyone currently listing old AIX versions.

Depending on which model 7012 or 7013, it might actually be fast enough
to run AIX 5.1.  Also, there are very few machines not powerful enough
to run AIX 4.  AIX 4 is a bit slow on the 320E/320/320H/330 or
520/520H/530/530H (or even a 920 or 930/930H), but those machines are
painfully slow in general, and not that common anymore.  I used to run a
320H on my desk for a number of years, and I can tell you that you
quickly get used to stepping away from your desk for coffee whenever you
tell it to start up Mosaic.

I would probably not hesitate to run AIX 4 on a 7012-340 or better.  AIX
5.1 will run reasonably well on a 370 or better.  The main difference is
that it uses more RAM.

Peace...  Sridhar