IBM 6094-020 Lighted Program Function Keys

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 00:04:53 CDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I find odd input devices fascinating, I've been following this
> thread even though I don't happen to own anything like it (but I'll
> certainly be keeping an eye out for things like this in the future).
> One question I do have is how one would typically use a light-up
> matrix keyboard on a 3D workstation.  I know how dialboxes are used,
> but how would keyboards like this be used?
>
> Thanks for clearing up the mystery,
>
> -ethan

I have never used the HP button and dial boxes.  I picked them up at
Boeing Surplus a couple of years back just because they looked cool
and I thought I might find something interesting to do with them some
day as they are simple serial interface devices.

I imagine the button box might be used to select different functions
or modes in some CAD software running on an HP-UX workstation.  Seems
like CAD software would likely have large tool palettes that might be
easier or quicker to select using a button box than a mouse or normal
keyboard.

I got a manual for the button box, but not the dial box.  It came with
a DDS tape labeled: Dial & Button Box Driver for A4362A & A4363A P/N
A4362-10001 REV A.01.00 HP 9000 SERIES 700 HP-UX.