Read error correction in software

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 26 11:24:08 CDT 2007

On 26 Jul 2007 at 6:40, dwight elvey wrote:

> Your right, not too good on multiple errors.
> You might be looking at a drive issue. Have you tried taking
> the disk out and putting them back in after shifting them
> in the envelope? ( I'm assuming they're floppies )

These are genuine read errors, not problems with the drive.  Given
the age and condition of the disks, I'm not surprised.  100 tpi
floppies were never that reliable to begin with.

No--my question relates to MFM error recovery techniques.  Since my
"data separator" is in software, I'm assuming I can do some clever
things that I couildn't do with a "dumb" PLL data separator.

Cheers,
Chuck