MMI 6701 bit slice?

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 10:01:23 CDT 2007

>From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
---snip---

>I remember that we had the original MDS-800 and it came with single-
>sided FM drives.  We then got a series II, but with the 2-board MFM
>controller, which also did FM.    I may still have some ISIS-II
>diskettes from that.  IIRC, the first track of both the FM and MFM
>floppies was FM.

Speaking of ISIS-II, I wonder if anyone has tried to collect the files
that were in the user library that Intel had at the time? There were
a lot of useful programs there for the 8080 and 8085. A while back
I stopped by the Intel Museum. They didn't have much of anything.
They seemed to be just  advertising for the latest processor with
little about where Intel had been.
I do think you're right about reading FM on the first track.
That was kind of standard for older 8 inch disk.
My Olivetti M20 does that with 5-1/4 disk. I guess it is a carry over
from the CP/M days.
It made copying my M20 disk hard until I found a controller that
ran single density. For the M20, the first track was just disk setup
information and the same for most all. I had to first format a disk
on the M20 and then overwrite the rest of the tracks with the
new data.
Dwight