8" SCSI interface hard drives

jim jwstephens at msm.umr.edu
Mon Jun 25 10:01:37 CDT 2007

Mr Ian Primus wrote:

>>From what I have heard, they did make 8" SCSI
>interface hard drives (possibly a Seagate Sabre?), but
>I was thinking about it the other day, and now I'm not
>so sure. I have never seen one, nor have I heard of
>one "in captivity".
>
>So - do they exist?
>
>-Ian

MPI made SCSI adapters for all their 8" drives, though I don't
know who used them in products.  We had SCSI such as it was
for all the sample drives we got in the early 80's up thru 86 from
them.

We made a SCSI adapter for their Sentinel 1/4" drive (for the
division in Valley Forge where they made the tape drives).  Dec
had a weird interface that was SCSI, but they purposely screwed
up the commands so that they were incompatable with common
software and hardware and could not be plugged.  Remember them?

Jim