Semi-OT: Interesting or unusual PC Compatibles?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 26 18:05:55 CDT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:14 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> How about the SGI Visual Workstations?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Visual_Workstation
>
> Also lovely machines. Beautiful design & build. Not very
> PC-compatible, but ran Windows NT.

   They are pretty machines, most definitely.

   In the "odd PCs" department, I have to mention the Seequa
Chameleon.  It has an 8088 and a Z80, so it can run DOS, CP/M-80, or
CP/M-86.  A friend and mentor had one when I was in my teens
(mid-1980s) and I got to use it a fair bit.  I really liked it.  The
display (green) was bright and sharp, and the keyboard had a nice
feel.  As a "luggable", the mechanical design was similar to that of
the Kaypro systems, but if memory serves, it was slightly smaller.  A
good machine overall.  I hope to have one here someday; that will
certainly bring back some memories.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire