Semi-OT: Interesting or unusual PC Compatibles?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jun 29 18:51:53 CDT 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Chris M wrote:
>  Can you name specific examples of programs that if
> we're *allowed* to run would place the designer in the
> danger zone?

It is possible for non-BASIC programs to call subroutines in the BASIC
ROMs directly to their addresses.  The Vertex "OEM IBM ONLY" edition of
Xeno-Copy, which was supposed to never be released, but was used by
PC-WORLD in a January 1983? comparison of compatibles.

All early versions of XenoCopy would run on an 8088, but not 8086 or
above, due to my failure to prepare for a change in the size of the
pre-fetch buffer.

I will accept the title of "pedantic".  There DO exit exceptions, just not
any that matter.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com