I am now Annoyed [Re: Old oscilloscope help: ideas sought]

Rod Smallwood RodSmallwood at mail.ediconsulting.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 12:18:53 CST 2007

Comment from the UK

Cathode Ray display devices such as TV, Terminals, Oscilloscopes etc.
are generally refered to as "tubes" over here. 'Valve' is taken to mean
the glass (or metal) enveloped switching or amplifying devices.

Special devices such as photomultipliers are also normally called tubes.

Rod Smallwood

-----Original Message-----
From: cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org
[mailto:cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of
listmailgoeshere at gmail.com
Sent: 01 March 2007 12:58
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: I am now Annoyed [Re: Old oscilloscope help: ideas sought]

On 3/1/07, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2007 at 19:00, der Mouse wrote:
> > Actually, come to think of it, looking at your (natural enough) use 
> > of "valve" where I'd write "tube", I'm curious - are CRTs called 
> > CRTs on your side of the pond, or something else (CRV?)?
> This has come up before--it's "tube" if I recall.  The same applies to

> terms suchl as TWT.
> The only difference is that some pronounce it "chube"

"all". No-one British that I've ever heard pronounces it "toob".
People would look at you funny if you did ;)


More information about the cctalk mailing list