Multiplexing Nixies

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 8 01:24:12 CST 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>>    There's a 16-segment VFD, the IV-17, that shows up on eBay fairly
>> frequently.  They're pretty nice.
>
> They're nice, but I was really wondering about EL--one of the
> "forgotten" technologies.

   Oh ok, I thought VF might be "close enough" for whatever you had
in mind.  I really like VFDs myself.  So bright & sharp.

>   I remember being fascinated with EL back
> in the 60's; it seemed full of promise.  I recently picked up a pack
> of EL night-lights and found that they were pretty much the same
> thing as the one I had 40 years ago.

   They really are neat.  I don't see EL technology used for much
other than backlighting nowadays, though.  How is the life span of
EL?  My dusty neurons seem to say that they wear out in several
years?  Is that the case?

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire