raster laser?

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Fri Mar 9 13:32:13 CST 2007

At 12:01 PM 3/9/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>And thusly were the wise words spake by David Griffith
> >

> > Somehow I got subscribed to an optics catalog.  This got me to thinking.
> > How hard would it be to cause a laser beam to sweep with the speed and
> > accuracy to be a substitute for a CRT?  The upshot?  Take an old terminal
> > with nasty screen burn.  Cut off the gun end of the bottle, clean off the
> > old phosphor.  Apply new phosphor of some kind, then mount the laser
> > rasteriser where the old gun was.  Projecting raster images on the side of
> > a building would be fun too.
> >

>I would rather do vector graphics.. :)  I have seen plans on the where
>you use the voice coils from two old hard drives with mirrors stuck to
>them to bounce the laser onto a wall..

It was somewhere about 1980 that I built the basic high-power car-audio
speaker laser deflector. Mine used plastic ball-socket pivots and aluminum
stock as levers, to pivot a speaker horizontally. The laser goes from that
mirror to another one driven vertically by a second speaker.

I have a Real Laser (plasma tube NeHe) to drive it. Still works.

Haven't we all built something like that at one time or another?

-----
481. [Humor] Shouldn't the Psychic Friends call you? --heard on the radio
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531