Turning a VAX 11/750 into a workstation (Re: VMS for MicroVAX II/III (was Re: Value of a PDP/8?))

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 23:29:06 CST 2007

On 3/10/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ethan Dicks wrote:
> > I think a 11/750 makes a fine single-user VMS "workstation" ;-)
>
> Never trust a workstation that couldn't roll over you and smash you flat?

I almost had an 11/750 land on me, but I was able to coax it out of
the side door of a Chevy Astro mini-Van (alone) without getting
squished or pinched.  That was a fun experience.

Thinking about the whole "11/750 workstation" concept - I wonder if
one could take a qbus mono framebuffer and hang it off of some flavor
of Qniverter?  It'd be glacial compared to a real VAXstation II or
VAXstation 2000, but presuming the framebuffer doesn't depend on
anything peculiar to POST on a MicroVAX II, it'd be slick to see.  For
"real" work on an 11/750, any flavor of DMA-capable Unibus comms
interface (DEC DMF-32, Emulex CS21...) and an authentic
ANSI-compatible dumb terminal (VT100, VT220...) is just fine (but back
in the day, the "power users" had two terminals on their desk, along
with a serial switch box to manage "multiple sessions" in hardware).

-ethan