ftp archives disappearing?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sat Mar 10 17:21:57 CST 2007

 > Has anyone else noticed that ftp search services like archie seem to
 > have disappeared

The web as subsumed all of this, in an inferior fashion, IMHO.
You will notice that bitsavers looks exactly the same as it did as
an anonymous ftp site on its previous host.

 > Should we be working to archive large FTP software repositories?

Absolutely! And try to find old backups that you have.
Make sure to use something that can preserve file dates of the files.
The old recursive ftp programs didn't do this.