SWTPC craze

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 15 00:08:41 CDT 2007

Richard wrote:
> In article <45F76433.87F015DD at cs.ubc.ca>,
>     Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca>  writes:
>
> > I picked a derelict/beat-up CT-64 out of the surplus/discard pile about 10
> > years ago. Cleaned up and rewired it's in excellent condition.
>
> Dude.  10 years ago I don't know if this "hobby" was on anyone's
> radar.  Did ebay even exist 10 years ago?  At any rate, 10 years seems
> like such a long time for this hobby that I don't know how you could
> compare 10 years ago to now.

A then-vs-now value comparison was not intended, just a statement of the way
it happened.

It may be that there are more people in this hobby today, but I don't really
think the level of awareness or consideration of the hobby outside the hobby
is much different.
Given the same circumstances (source,location,appearance) for the one I found,
even today I expect it would still have ended up in the surplus/discard pile.