Austin, Texas Computerworks Goodwill

Keys jrkeys at concentric.net
Thu Mar 15 19:11:08 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Battle" <frustum at pacbell.net>
To: <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:57 PM
Subject: Austin, Texas Computerworks Goodwill

> I've had it with the Computerworks in Austin.  Please let me rant; nobody
> else will appreciate it.
> http://www.austingoodwill.org/crs/store%20locater%20pages/ComputerWorks.html
>
> When I moved to Austin a couple years ago, I had high hopes.  In the San
> Francisco Bay area, you could spend a saturday hitting half a dozen
> Goodwill's, looking for gems.  Sometimes they appeared, often not.  In
> Austin (and San Antonio, and probably some other cities) Goodwill sends
> all of their computer donations to a specialized goodwill, marketed as
> "ComputerWorks"; the theory is that most goodwill's don't have skilled
> employees to know what is interesting or not and how to price it; I agree
> that is the case.
>
> The Austin Computerworks even has a vintage computer museum, so that led
> me to believe the appreciated vintage computers.
>
> https://www.austincomputerworks.org/museum/index.html
>
> Bzzt.  Not so.
>
> Clue #1: the "museum" hasn't been open in the eight or so times I've
> stopped by.  Their hours are sunday 1-5, monday 9-11, wed 1-3.  8 hours a
> week.  One time I snuck in when the door was open and had a look -- it is
> a hands-off museum.  Each of the 20 or so machines has a 5x7 card fully
> explaining what is interesting about the machine and how it fits in to the
> tapestry of computing ... not.  Name, date, and manufacturer is about all.
>
> Clue #2: they got rid of 80% of their books, leaving only "popular"
> titles.
>
> Clue #3: they never have any vintage computers for sale when I'm there.
>
> A year ago I had dropped off an HP 85, an HP86, and 30 lbs of software and
> manuals, even replacement paper for the 85's printer.  I was nervous when
> they told me to go around to the side to drop it off at the general
> donation dock, but I did it.
>
> Today before donating, I asked a few questions.
>
> Me: I have an apple II+, and apple IIe, and a kaypro 10 to donate.  Are
> you interested in them?
>
> Clerk: Yes, sir, we are!  Drive around the side to the loading dock and
> drop them off there.
>
> Me: I've been here a dozen times (I'm stretching the truth with him to
> make a point) and I've never seen any old computers for sale -- I mean,
> 70's micros.
>
> Him: Oh, we get them, but most people aren't interested.
>
> Me: So what do you do when you get them?
>
> Him: We send them to a room where were separate out the metal from the
> plastic and ...
>
> Me: (interrupting)  Wait a second... you mean you don't even try to sell
> them to that segment of the market that is interested in them, for
> nostalgia's sake or whatever?  You just trash them?
>
> Him: No sir, as I just explained, we don't throw them away.  We separate
> out the metal from the plastic ... (I didn't hear the rest as I walked
> away)
>
> So the nice hp 85 and 86 that I donated last year with docs and apps,
> [...]
It's almost the same here in Houston now, they stopped selling computers in
the store because of a law suite. Someone won a case in court because the
goodwill sold their computer with their personal data on it. You can find
monitors, keyboards, some other junk for sale but that's it. They have a
"guy" that parks a empty trailer out back of the main door and ALL computers
and electronic stuff are tossed into it for him to haul off. Really sucks as
they get a large amount of goodies here. They no longer keep the good
manuals or books either.

John