Mods, was Re: SWTPC craze

Mike van Bokhoven mike at ambientdesign.com
Thu Mar 15 18:54:53 CDT 2007

> I assume you are familar with Cannon Fodder? It was (and still is) a
classic game. A forerunner
> to Command & Conquer if you will, but focusing on the troops only (though
they can go in vehicles).
> A classic game which I have for my Sega Megadrive (Genesis for those of
you in the US) and Amiga
> CD32 - the only difference is that the CD32 version has the intro song in
full, and may be considered
> offensive to certain people.

The aforementioned possibly-offensive (but not really) song:

http://host.fenz.net/cannonfodder.mod

Mods and their descendants are a really interesting phenomenon; for me, it
marks the beginning of the really low-cost digital home music studio. There
were lot of talented people who got a start with that format, largely thanks
to the Amiga, and later, Amiga sound emulation (and extension) on the PC. I
suppose the Atari ST with its built-in MIDI ports had an effect too, but
then you needed the expensive MIDI sound gear to hang off that.

In fact, there are still plenty of resources for mods etc. For example:

http://www.modplug.com

hosts a player and tracker that are still actively developed.

Mike.