cctech Digest, Vol 43, Issue 43

charlesmorris at hughes.net charlesmorris at hughes.net
Fri Mar 16 07:19:29 CDT 2007

>From: Richard <legalize at xmission.com>
>In article <m1HRzUm-000J1EC at p850ug1>,
>    ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell)  writes:
>
>> It uses an odd ribbon that is probably unobtanium now
>
> What's so odd about the ribbon?

The ribbons aren't impossible to obtain but not everyone carries them.
Usual quantity is at least a box of five.

I think I already posted this (check the archives), but I'll recap
briefly for those interested:

Last year I bought a nice 43 in a transit case. Print was very light.
So I ordered a box of five ribbons ($40+ with shipping) and promptly
discovered that they had been made incorrectly (ribbon loop too long,
so the ribbon was too slack and would not move across the re-ink roller
during carriage return). After taking one apart, having a dialogue with
the design engineer at Dataprint(?) and sending them for his
inspection, he agreed that they were incorrectly made and sent me a new
box with the proper length loop. They worked, but were so dried out
from age/storage that the print wasn't any darker!! I even tried
drilling a small hole above the inkpad roller and squirting in some X-
stamper (handheld stamp) ink, but that didn't help much.

So I've about given up on my 43, unless someone can tell me where to
get a ribbon that actually works!

-Charles