Oregon sources (was: Austin, Texas Computerworks Goodwill)

Vincent Slyngstad vrs at msn.com
Fri Mar 16 18:30:16 CDT 2007

From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com>
> Vince or Paxton,
> Have either of you by any chance checked out Computer Drive Connection in
> Cornelius?  I learned of it recently, but have no idea what they're like.
> The website makes them sound at least slightly interesting, and they've
> apparently been around since '94.
> http://www.computerdriveconnection.com/
>
> I actually have to be right near there tomorrow, but doubt I'll have the
> opportunity to check them out, and I definitely won't be dressed for
> junking.

Nope, but it is probably worth a shot.

> On the other side of 26, on Cornelius Pass Road, is "Surplus Gizmos" (they
> had been near Enu).  http://surplusgizmos.com/  Seems like a replacement
> for
> Wacky Willy's (which is now totally gone).  I've only been in the old
> Gizmos
> store once, but based on that, and the fact the new store is larger, I
> suspect this would be well worth checking out.

I have been there many times, and it is worth a look.  They've added a
section with loose parts (switches, connectors, ICs, etc.), and the
$0.50 junk bins are a wonder if you don't mind a little desoldering.
Of course, they still have the assortment of larger objects arrayed
around the perimeter, and a wonderful selection of old test equipment.
Some of the stuff looks to be from server farms that got taken apart,
and not a little of it looks to be from manufacturing outfits.  (There's
an old wafer sorter there, for instance.)

(About halfway back, watch for the signs that say "employees only".
They keep moving them around, and more than once I've found myself
on the wrong side of them.)

    Vince