Don Maslin/Archiving system software

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 13:24:03 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Certainly, today, I can purchase a Bugatti Veyron, but I might have
> finding a palce to open it up.

Someone did just that in the UK the other week and wrecked it within a few
hours of owning it, I seem to recall. Oops :-)

> limited.l    The same evenutally must apply to a PC--yes, you can
> have the power, but if you're only offered dialup service, what are
> you going to do with it.  There will be no mass market for the ultra-
> powered PC, so while it might be available, it will be not be the
> model in common use.

Problem is it doesn't seem to work like that.

a) Human nature is such that typically people want to have the best, even if
they don't need it. That's utter stupidity, but it's the way most people seem
to work.

b) OS software seems hell-bent on pushing the hardware boundaries regardless
of what the applications are doing and whether any useful functionality is added.

I suspect those two have always been the case - it's just that the gap between
what people *need* and what extras they get over and above that is widening
every year, so it's a lot more obvious now than it once was.