Don Maslin/Archiving system software (was: ftparchives disappearing?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Mar 19 15:07:41 CDT 2007

On 19 Mar 2007 at 13:18, Jules Richardson wrote:

> Indeed - and it's easy to say "record as much as possible". Problem then is
> that it discourages archive owners from publishing content simply because it's
> time-consuming to enter the metadata for the items that they're making
> available. Getting the balance right is probably going to be tricky.

I thought I'd share a little tidbit here.  On floppy conversion jobs,
it's rare for us to use a PC diskette controller.  I've long found
that using a catweasel or similar flux-transition capture tool
results in a much higher data recovery rate--and it's rare that I
have to read a diskette more than once in order to determine the
format or recording method.  This can be an issue with very old
diskettes, which can degrade with each read.

When we return converted data a customer, we'll also generally
include the flux state map as documentation.  The needed space on a
CD or DVD usually comes nearly "free" and there's a permanent record.

I don't know if FTP space will ever be cheap enough that recording
flux maps on them for public access will ever be economical, but it's
certainly something to think about if preserving "images" and not
just converted data becomes important.

FWIW,
Chuck