Hosting and Bandwidth [was] .......

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Tue Mar 20 17:25:19 CDT 2007

Jim wrote...
> It was intentional -- most people here might want to host something
> themselves, not run an ISP.
Nah, the discussion was for archives, and as you were saying - "Don't put it
online unless you have the bandwidth and controls to do it right". So, I
assumed we weren't talking about someone with a lil 10mb pipe. And putting
on bandwidth controls by itself isn't good enough, because you'll run out of
steam for a serious archive. So, do it right or don't do it at all.

> How do you determine "quality" bandwidth?
To those of us who work in that business, this is not a subjective question.
It's pretty cut and dry. Latency, hops, outages, routing issues, and
peering/connectivity.

Jay