BA23 setup and DZQ11 configuration

David Betz dbetz at xlisper.com
Wed Mar 21 11:02:04 CDT 2007

>>> You might want to keep your eye out for a 3rd
>>> party disk controller with the bootstrap built in.
>>
>> That's a good point.  I have more than one Emulex QD21, a Dilog
>> DQ696,
>> and a Sigma RDQ11, which are all Q-bus ESDI controllers and they all
>> have firmware with boot and built-in formatting support.  They were
>> much cheaper on eBay than Q-bus SCSI controllers, although SCSI
>> drives
>> are basically free and you'll pay something for an ESDI drive, but
>> not
>> as much as for a large working MFM drive.
>
> I have a Emulex QU32 SMD controller but no drives to go with it. I
> also have a Maxtor EXT 4380 ESDI drive but no controller for it. I
> don't suppose anyone would like to trade me boot card for either or
> both of these?
>
> Either that or a trade of a KDJ11-BB or maybe -BF for my KDJ11-AA
> and some other stuff? I have a bunch of MicroVAX I and II parts and
> a BA23 chassis. Also a number of KDF11 CPU boards.

Okay, I just opened up another box (a MVII in a BA123) and found that
it contains a SCD-RQD11-EC controller. I believe this is an ESDI
controller with onboard boot ROM. This ought to work but since it
came out of a MicroVAX, I'm assuming that the boot ROM will only work
on a VAX. Is that correct? Or is there both PDP-11 and VAX code in
the ROM? Also, I can't find a manual for this board. Manx doesnt have
it and Bitsavers has a manual for the RQD11-ECPlus but that doesn't
seem to match the board layout of my board so I can't use it to
determine the switch settings. Anyone have documentation on this board?

Also, what do I have to watch out for when using stuff that
originally came from a MicroVAX to build a PDP-11 system? The BA23
chassis that I'm using started out life as a MicroVAX-I and many of
the boards came from VAXen.