BA23 setup and DZQ11 configuration

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:30:44 CDT 2007

On 3/21/07, David Betz <dbetz at xlisper.com> wrote:
> Okay, I just opened up another box (a MVII in a BA123) and found that
> it contains a SCD-RQD11-EC controller. I believe this is an ESDI
> controller with onboard boot ROM. This ought to work but since it
> came out of a MicroVAX, I'm assuming that the boot ROM will only work
> on a VAX. Is that correct? Or is there both PDP-11 and VAX code in
> the ROM? Also, I can't find a manual for this board. Manx doesnt have
> it and Bitsavers has a manual for the RQD11-ECPlus but that doesn't
> seem to match the board layout of my board so I can't use it to
> determine the switch settings. Anyone have documentation on this board?

Ok, now you're in luck.  The SCD-RQD11-EC will work with the KDJ11-A
and your Maxtor EXT 4380 ESDI drive.

I couldn't find the manual either, but extrapolated enough out of the
RQD11-ECPlus manual to figure out how to configure it.  The onboard
"WOMBAT" utilities will let you format the drive and boot the drive,
and will run on the PDP-11.  The controller also has cache on board,
maybe 512MB, I forget without checking.

I have some notes on the switch settings to enable the ROM and set the
addresses.  I'll dig those out tonight.

-Glen