Speed of text editors on 808x platform

Mark Davidson medavidson at mac.com
Wed Mar 28 14:28:51 CDT 2007

Jim---

On Mar 25, 2007, at 11:04 PM, Jim Leonard wrote:

> I spent the weekend obsessing over what the fastest editor I could
> find for a 4.77MHz 8088, DOS, CGA platform.  The results, if anyone
> is interested, are here:  http://www.oldskool.org/guides/texteditors
>
> No doubt I will get some scorn for knocking Brief and other
> venerable editors, but the truth is I have very specific needs:  1.
> Instant screen response to user input, and 2. a functional undo.
> That's it, really, and I was surprised how many text editors did
> not fit the bill.

Interesting post!   Brings back a lot of memories...  it is
interesting to see how many editors from the days of yore are still
sold and supported today (Vedit, Lugaru Epsilon, etc).

A couple of points.   Sprint from Borland was another one of the
products they bought and then basically rendered unrecognizable.  I
believe it was originally "The Final Word" from Mark of the Unicorn,
which I absolutely loved.  Not really a "text editor", but more of
halfway between a text editor and full word processor.

Someone mentioned the Borland Editor Toolbox.  I *loved* those
products.  Borland had an Editor Toolbox, Database Toolbox, Games
Toolbox, etc.  Those were lots of fun to play with.

As for SlickEdit... yes, highly recommended.  I remember when it was
first released (text-only interface) and loving it.  It was one of
the few editors that ran on both DOS and OS/2, and took advantage of
OS/2's features to make itself faster.

Mark