Old UPSs

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Thu Mar 29 17:40:21 CDT 2007

Hmmm... That's a great idea. Hopefully, the charging circuit works on
tractor batteries as well as the pricey SLA's specified.

And Mark G had the idea of looking for online manuals via archive.org, also
an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, the index / top layer pages seem to
be in the archive, but little else. So far, no manuals.

Thanks, to both you guys.

-T

At 09:17 AM 3/29/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>On 28 Mar 2007 at 15:53, Tom Peters wrote:
>
> > I've got a model ME2.1KVA unit that needs four 12V, 35Ah batteries. I
> think
> > it works, I just can't afford the batteries. Best price I've seen is about
> > $49. The UPS is huge-- about 18 inches front to back, and darn near two
> > feet high.
>
>I've got a 1.4KVA Elgar supply that I've had for a very long time.
>Same story--it takes 48v of lead-acid gel cells.  I got around that
>by constructing a separate box (out of wood) that holds 4 12v garden
>tractor batteries ($19 the each at the local big box--also keeps the
>fumes out of the electronics).  If you wanted to splurge, you could
>opt for deep-cycle marine batteries, but we don't get long  power
>failures very often, since the co-op moved the substation about a
>half-mile up the road.
>
>I check the water every time I have my teeth cleaned (6 month
>intervals) and replace them every 5 years or so.   The big UPSes are
>very reliable in my experience--not like some of the consumer items.
>
>Cheers,
>Chuck
>

> > I also have a ME700VA unit that uses the same battery, just one of them.
> >
> > Both have serial ports and lots of dipswitches.
> >
> > Anyone know where to find a manual for these?
> >

> > TIA,
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > -----
> > 96. [Philosophy] "You are, of course, correct, and I disagree completely."
> > mikeh at netcom.com (Michael F. Howard)
> > tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
> > "HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
> > 43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
> > WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User
> 385531

-----
98. [Philosophy] REPORTER: Mr. Gandhi, what do you think about Western
Civilization? GANDHI: I think it would be a good idea.