Atari ST connectors (was: Atari SIO bus connectors found)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Nov 1 20:13:49 CDT 2007

On 1 Nov 2007 at 22:36, Tony Duell wrote:

> The wookshp manual [1] I have alongside me gives the removal method as
> drilling a hole down the middle and then using an easy-out. Does that
> term exist across the Pond? It's a tapered tool with a left-hand thread
> on the otuside. Put it down the hole, turn it anticlockwise with a tap
> wrench [2] and it bites into the sides of the hole and turns the
> shear-head olt anticlockwise too.

Easy-outs, like tap extractors are perfect examples of oxymorons.
I've never found an Easy-out that will remove a really stuck sheared-
off bolt, nor have I found a tap extractor that will remove a broken
tap.

I've come to the conclusion that most people who have success with
tap extractors buy really cheap taps that break if you look at them
crosseyed.  A good tap, when it breaks is impossible to remove with a
tap extractor.

A very slick way to remove a steel bolt or tap that's sheared off in
an aluminum casting (e.g.  a hard disk body) is to use nitric acid
and a little heat--the acid doesn't bother the aluminum but eats
enough of the steel to loosen it for removal.  I've heard that alum
(I don't know what sort, probably amonium) also works.

Cheers,
Chuck