3.25-inch floppies

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri Nov 2 04:35:51 CDT 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007 04:02:19 Fred Cisin wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Jason T wrote:
> > Not sure if any computer ever used them, but I remember having an old
> > Akai sampler that used a bizarre "Quickdisk" format.  The sampler is
> > long gone, but somewhere I have one or two of the disks, which will be
> > handy should I ever try to create a magnetic media display of some
> > sort.  I think they measured...2.75" (?) and held...not much at all.
>
> was that a 2.8" diskette with a single continuous spiral track?

That's it exactly.  It was the Akai S612 - or more specifically, the Akai
MD280 external disk drive.  IIRC the sampler could be bought without the
drive, and either send and receive samples over sysex or from tape.  I
*think* it had 48k of memory.

I passed up the chance to buy one, with the drive and a large library of
disks, for 50 quid in a music shop in Inverness a few years ago.  Oh well.

Gordon