modern serial terminal

Eric J Korpela korpela at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 8 21:07:15 CST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 4:37 PM, woodelf <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
> Eric J Korpela wrote:
> > We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  MC68020 is the first 32 bit
> > CPU in the 68K line.
> How does one define 32 bit cpu? I know nothing about the 68020
> but I am guessing a 32 bit bus, and some sort of virtual memory.

If it's got one or more 32 bit wide ALU and 32 bit registers and a 32
bit internal data bus it's a 32 bit processor.

If a processor has 16 bit registers, 16 bit math and address
calculation, and a 16 bit address bus, but it's ALU is only 8 bit and
its internal data bus is 8 bits, it's an 8 bit processor.  Right?