Video clips (was Re: modern serial terminal)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Sat Nov 10 05:44:44 CST 2007

On 10/11/2007 02:27, Jim Leonard wrote:

>> What was the first computer to have any type of video? I'm guessing
>> that the Philips CDi, Panasonic/Goldstar 3DO  and Amiga CD32 were some
>> of the first consoles to feature CD-based video.

> 25fps or faster is a tall order -- CDI might be the first console-thingy
> to have it on a standardized basis, but a year earlier in 1991, I was
> watching quarter-screen streaming 30fps video in the form of
> http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

The earliest I can think of is Acorn's Replay software, which could do
quarter-screen 25fps in 1988 or 1989 on an Acorn Archimedes machine.  A
little before that, the same machines were playing short animated
ray-traced scenes at 25fps, sometimes full-frame -- but that's not quite
the same thing as video.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager