S100 Floppy Controller Question

Richard A. Cini rcini at optonline.net
Sun Nov 11 18:32:38 CST 2007

Yes, I understand the 5-for-8 substitution. One of the challenges I'm having
is finding a suitable disk image to try. If I get an 8" image I plan on
jamming it onto a 5.25" HD disk and giving that a whirl.

I made the "8"-only" distinction because one of the boards I have (the
Versafloppy) has both connectors. It just saves a little time in not having
to make a cable.

On 11/11/07 5:33 PM, "M H Stein" <dm561 at torfree.net> wrote:

> -------------Original Messages:
> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:23:30 -0500
> From: "Richard A. Cini" <rcini at optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question
>
> Good. The Morrow controller then falls into the same category in my mind as
> the ComprPro Disk 1 with the added bonus of not requiring mods to my IMSAI.
>
> Now the thousand-dollar question -- does anyone have a suitable disk image I
> could use?
>

> On 11/11/07 10:55 AM, "Tim Shoppa" <shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "Richard A. Cini" <rcini at optonline.net> wrote:
>>> Oh, I also just found a Morrow DiskJockey 2D/B in one of my boxes. This
>>> model has only a 50-pin connector and the manual talks about the SA800, so
>>> I'm assuming it's an 8"-only controller.
>>
>> Well, originally intended for 8" drives, but with a suitable adapter
>> cable glue and a slightly modified BIOS it'll do 5.25" and 3.5" drives.
>>
>> Tim.
>
> Rich
>
> ----------Reply:
>
> I think Tim's point was that if your controller's smart enough to deal with a
> relatively modern 8" drive like a TM848 it could probably deal equally
> well with a 5.25" HD drive and you could transparently restore an 8" image
> (if you have one) to the 5.25" disk. The controller (and CP/M) would not
> even know that it's a 5.25 instead of an 8"; my Cromemcos certainly don't,
> although a different FDC might well require some mods to the BIOS.
>
> Worth a try in any case.

Rich

--
Rich Cini