CRC question

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 12 00:09:29 CST 2007

On 11 Nov 2007 at 21:44, dwight elvey wrote:

>  It has been some time since I played with CRC's. I once
> had to write test to check CRC chips that used
> the Chinese Remainder Theorem to make data correction.
>  I had to make sure that it corrected correctly by checking
> each part of the error correction. That was many years
> ago.

I've still got the docs for the WD chip that would do both ECC and
CRC.  When I was securing data for computer forensics, I started with
two interlocked CRCs using different polynomials.   Eventually, the
gummint expressed a preference for SHA hashes, so the CRC went the
way of the dodo.  SHA was a LOT slower than CRC or even MD5.

Cheers,
Chuck