How not to fix a classic mac (or: fried logic boards)

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Nov 14 02:30:55 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 22:26 -0800, Josh Dersch wrote:

> The LAG is labeled "HAL16R8CN 8440 / 342-0251-A" so it does look like a
> custom ("HAL") chip such as what Tony was mentioning.  Guess that would
> be tough to replace, unless someone out there has the means to make a
> dupilicate.  Bah.  That'll teach me to think twice next time I think I
> know what I'm doing :).

http://www.latticesemi.com/dynamic/view_document.cfm?document_id=102

There's not much to those chips.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't suss
out what it was doing fairly easily - assuming you had a working one!

I *might* still have a Mac Classic board or two kicking about.  I'll let
you know if I find one.

Gordon