"Barn" finds - Victor 9000, Rex Microcomputer and IntersilDevelopmentSystem

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Nov 14 23:30:53 CST 2007

JP Hindin wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Allison wrote:
> > Likely a 6100 (PDP-8 in cmos) powered deveopment system though they
> > sold  1802, 80c85 and 80C88 too.
>
> Now THAT interests me. When I was flipping through boards in the Intersil
> I did find a Z80 - so I assumed it was Z80 powered, but I suppose it's
> plausible it would use the Z80 for something else. How would I determine
> this?

> I know _zip_ about Intersil.

Intersil was an early manufacturer/proponent of LSI CMOS and very-low-power
stuff, starting IIRC ~mid/late 70's. Along with the 6100 they made chips like
LCD drivers, single-chip A/D converters/display drivers for DVMs,
very-low-power voltage
regulators and CMOS op amps, etc.

I think their technological/market peak could be said to have been in the
early/mid-80s, after which their specialty/niche became more commonplace in
chip design. I haven't looked into what became of the company.