*updating* 8088's

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 20 16:54:12 CST 2007

On 20 Nov 2007 at 14:41, Chris M wrote:

>  3.1 needed at least a 386, no? There was Win3.0
> (prolly same requirements) and Windows/286. This
> wouldn't get you the ability to run any of the above,
> but the 8088/86 was available as high as 20mhz IIRC,
> or possibly even a bit higher. I don't know what the
> '186 capped off at (40mhz at least).

Nope--you can run 3.1 on a 286--in standard mode.  That means no 32-
bit VxDs or other fancy stuff, but you can still play Solitaire.

On your other post, I think you're thinking of the Cyrix Cx486SLC.
486 instruction set with all the limitations of the 386SX--small bus
width, no math coprocessor, 16MB of addressability.  Fabbed by TI, I
believe.

Cheers,
Chuck