Teaching kids about computers...

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Wed Nov 21 10:04:17 CST 2007

Perhaps not right now, but the biggest "leap forward" I had from books
was looking at the 8080/Z80 microcomputer design and operation books
(such as Ciarcia's "How to Build Your Own Z-80 Computer" and
"Microcomputers and Microprocessors" (8080, 8085 and Z-80) from the
hardware standpoint. Probably not a good book until Junior High or High
School, though.

When I was learning S/W, I remember starting with Logo in 4th grade and
using Brainpower ChipWits at home. the ChipWits manual had a small
section on programming theory, perhaps I can find it. That's a good
game if you have an older Macintosh around (I had issues on machines
with over 1MB of RAM - it was written for the 128K, 512K and XL per the
disk. Some other people don't seem to have the issues, perhaps there
was a revision). In middle school we moved on to BASIC (because it was
in the ROMs of Apples). Perhaps not the ideal progression, but nowadays
students in the elementary schools don't seem to be learning
programming at all- it's more "how you use application software on the
computer".

In the early '90s Macworld had a 3-part article on how computers work
that wasn't too in depth. If you want I can find it and scan it., but
it's probably not too much more in depth than David Macaulay's "The Way
Things Work" in the new edition. (actually it is)