Documentation for the AT&T Sceptre Videotex terminal

Stroller classiccmp.org at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 17:34:33 CST 2007

On 21 Nov 2007, at 18:06, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> Of course we've ignored one important fact about keyboards with
> "Windows
> keys" - they're bloody awful.  I could chew up and swallow a bag of
> yoghurt
> pots and excrete a less flimsy keyboard than the ones on sale these
> days.

Here, I've corrected your statement for you:

    Of course we've ignored one important fact about most modern
keyboards
    - they're bloody awful...

I have an IBM keyboard here with windows keys - it is at least as
good as the Mac keyboard (assuming that was actually made by Apple)
that you say you're using in your work PC (and, really, probably
better).

Of course, I've had this a few years, and perhaps IBM's (Lenovo's?)
current keyboards aren't so good, but you can still pay 100 quid
(that's c $200) for a keyboard if you want a good one. PCkeyboard.com
offer buckling-spring models which feature the Windows key and which
are "based on an award winning design, ... the same quality and crisp
tactile feedback as their IBM predecessors"; if these are really as
good as the model M, then I think there are few who would be unhappy
with them; I find these prices to be surprisingly cheap. I'm sure you
can alternatively get a top-of-the-range Cherry with Windows keys,
and I'm got one old one of theirs here which I believe to be better
than a model M.

Back when my father bought his first "IBM-compatible" 286, he paid
more than that for a keyboard, but in those days, so did everyone
else - it was just one component in a c £2000 package. Nowadays
computers are cheap "commodity" items, and Walmart sell whole
computer systems for $199. Are you surprised that the keyboards feel
naff?

I find the Windows keys pretty useful, being obliged to use Windows
on a daily basis. All the keyboard shortcuts on Windows 2000 / XP and
other Microsoft apps of this generation are well-panned & useful -
I'm sure I've read that Microsoft conduct a good deal of usability
research, hands-on with users. For those of us that like keyboard
shortcuts a Mac is a VERY poor relation in this regard.

Stroller.