Commodore 64 (was "Re: Teaching kids about computers...")

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Tue Nov 27 11:27:10 CST 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007 23:17, Ensor wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   >> Also, full schematic diagrams for the machine were included
>   >>in the "Programmer's Reference Guide".
>   >
>   > For one version of it,  yeah. There were at least four different
>   >versions of the boards out there....
>
> Good point.
>
> But I still feel that the schematic which was published would be a useful
> learning aid despite this. It would only make a difference if you were
> going to hack around inside the machine itseelf, which may or may not be an
> issue.

True.  Giving the details of what was connected to all of the connectors was a
lot of what was useful about it.

>   >....Another was RAM, the later boards used two 64Kx4 parts instead
>   >of eight 64Kx1, and the very latest ones I saw combined two of the
>   >ROMs (Kernel and BASIC?) into one single chip.
>
> I'd assumed that all 64Cs had the combined Kernel/BASIC ROM, was this not
> the case?
>
> Likewise, I was under the impression that the move to a pair of 64K*4 DRAMs
> also came about with the advent of the C-64C....

Not really,  though it was more often the case than not.  The major difference
between those new cases and the old was the difference in the way the
keyboard was mounted.  The old-style cases had eight screws holding the
keyboard to the top of the case,  while the newer ones had the keyboard
mounted to the bottom half,  over some metal support brackets.  If you had a
new case and wanted that style but wanted to use your old parts otherwise,
you'd need those brackets.  And they were different for a couple of different
form factors-- the later boards with higher density were narrower,
front-to-back,  than the older ones were.

Now that I'm thinking about it a bit further, I  also have this vague
recollection of them combining the PLA chip with a bunch of the glue TTL and
making it even simpler yet,  though since the PLA was a common failure part
it made it more difficult to repair.

-
M Dakin