TI 990 architecture / was Re: TI-99/4A Floppies

Matt Lichtenberg kerobaros at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 20:54:44 CDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 12:48PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 3:47 PM, Martin Scott Goldberg wrote:
> >> There are really three 99/4 home computers, original with chiclet
> >> keys, the
> >> second and most common with a really nice keyboard and the whie
> >> version that
> >> is really the same thing with a few board level cost reductions.
> >
> > Actually, there's one TI-99/4 and two TI-99/4a models.
>
>   What are the differences between them, does anyone know offhand?
>
>         -Dave

Apparently, I'm one of the resident TI-99 experts!

The differences are almost exactly as Martin said; the 99/4 is the
first computer he described, and the 4As are the second two.  The 4's
only benefit was the built-in 'Equation Calculator' mode; sure mark of
TI's educational division.  The 4As had, other than a better keyboard,
the ability to use 'lowercase' (just small caps), and not much else.

More info can be found at Thierry Nouspikel's pages, which are
currently at <http://www.nouspikel.com/ti99/titech.htm>, and at the
Mainbyte pages, at <http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/>.

And now I'm out the door!

~Matt