New DSDD 5.25" floppies?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 5 02:01:17 CDT 2007

At 9:37 PM -0700 10/4/07, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>  > > I was, I know no one is making new C-1541 drives.  Though I'm looking
>>  > into building a 1541-III drive...
>>
>>  This CBM know-nothing is curious why a 1541 would be better than a
>>  1571?
>
>This CBM know-something doesn't understand that either :) the 1571 is much
>less prone to alignment problems and can be easily coerced into reading many
>more formats. It is a very versatile disk drive.

And you all seem to have missed what I'm referring to. :^)  Note the
"III" portion of 1541-III. :^)
http://jderogee.tripod.com/project1541.htm

I'm about ready to start collecting the parts needed and to see about
getting at least a couple circuit boards made.  I figure having an
extra or two won't hurt in case I mess up a circuit board while
building the device.  I've been working on some modifications to my
C-64, and since I borrowed an Optivisor
(http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php) I'm finding it a lot
easier to do soldering, so I'm almost brave enough to attempt this.

BTW, I currently have 3-5 1541's, 1 1571, and 1 or 2 Excelerator+Plus
(minus power-supplies) drives.  I tend to use a pair of the 1541's.
Though the 1571 is at home rather than lost up in storage. :^)  I use
the 1541's as I don't have a spare 1571.  I prefer to only use drives
if I have a spare.

Zane