these RTL or what?

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 16:17:53 CDT 2007

> "the mainframe world" acceptance of a CPU is the stupidest-ass thing
> a company could ever ever want.

I think it was more than just CPU - a effort to get VAX and VMS into
the mainframe market, rather than skirt the edges of it.

I am not sure I agree with you about it being stupid. There always has
been a large amount of money in the mainframe world. The market IS
money, if you think about it. Bankers will always be richer than
professors.

> There are about ten thousand markets that DEC served quite well, and
> it's a shame they put all that effort and money into neglecting those
> markets and trying to do a mainframe.

Who was pushing it?

> Stack it up with all those other CPU's without peripherals, huh? :-).

Which string of DASDs should I roll over your foot?

> Mainframes are really good at some things, sometimes they are decent
> number crunchers in terms of pure FLOPS but it has been three to four
> decades since they delivered any punch in terms of FLOPS per dollar.

Well, the KL10 is reaching that 3 or 4 decade point!

--
Will