choosing a 360k FDD

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Mon Oct 8 23:30:48 CDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Roy J. Tellason wrote:

> On Monday 08 October 2007 23:05, David Griffith wrote:
> > So, I'm faced with a bunch of 360k floppy drives.  One of them I will put
> > in my main desktop machine for replicating floppies for, say, my C64,
> > Kaypro, etc.
>
> I don't know how you're going to do that for c64 disks,  since they use a
> completely different recording method.  If there's some way to deal with that
> oddball format with a standard drive I'd sure like to know about it!

I'll be using a Catweasel for handling C64 disks.
(http://amiga.think42.com/news/news99_e.htm and
http://www.jschoenfeld.com/indexe.htm)

> > What should I look for when choosing such a drive?  The best specimen I have
> > right now was taken from a Morrow Micro-Decision.  According to the tag,
> > it's a "TEC FB-503".  Can someone tell me something about this?
>
> Not much offhand.  TEC apparently stands (stood?) for Tokyo Electric Company
> last I heard.

After pawing through the list archives, I came to the conclusion that it
would be best to leave the TEC drive in the Morrow and sell it as-is even
though it has only one drive.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu