Universal Floppy reader, was : Re: Extracting CDOS and CP/M) files

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 12 13:27:27 CDT 2007

On 12 Oct 2007 at 12:18, e.stiebler wrote:

> I was wondering about it for a while already.
> Why not just take any of the old FDCs, put it with an 8051 on a board.
> Make the software open source, transfer the files via V24 (or for the
> weird ones, use USB). No PCI, no PC ISA, just a plain cheap board, which
> is even usable with old Mac/Vaxes/whatever ...

It's been discussed before here.  I wonder if the whole shebang could
be wrapped up in an FPGA.

The Backpack drives pretty much did that via the parallel port.  The
unit had an FDC (National 8477), a uP and a few K of RAM.  You sent
it commands to program the ports on the FDC directly, which seems to
me like the best way to go for maximum flexibility.  Let the host
figure out what to do with the raw data.

Cheers,
Chuck