4004 and IC history / was Re: Vintage computer photogallery

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 16:20:44 CDT 2007

Brent Hilpert wrote:
> Based on what I've read though, I disagree about the (degree of) credit generally
> given to TI/Kilby regarding the creation of the IC, on similar grounds: in the
> late 50s there were lots of efforts/attempts/designs to create miniature
> modules of some sort.

Yeah, I'd wondered that too - there was all sorts going on around that sort of
time; TI went down one route, but I don't think they were "first IC", just
"first IC using a particular approach".

(I always get wary when people use the filing of a patent as the definitive
proof that someone was first to do something :-)

Oh, someone mentioned the IMP-16 - mine happened to be nearby; there's six
'major' ICs on the (approx 12" x 9") board (plus a couple of EPROMs on mine, a
handful of TTL, and 16 1101 chips - RAM, I'd assume).

cheers

Jules