That poor System/36

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Sat Oct 13 18:08:55 CDT 2007

>  I really want something bigger and something that just screams "I'm
> dimming your lights!". A crimson running off a serial terminal does
> not seem to cut it for me.

IBM is a different mindset at the mini/mainframe levels than UNIX-type
systems, and hobbyists suffer from the fact that IBM does not court the
hobbyist market. Notice that I did not say it was a worse mindset, just
different, nor did I imply that any company must bend over backwards
for the hobbyist.

IBM minis are optimized for database, accounting and semi-mainframe
type tasks, too, and there are many pitfalls and booby traps in place
to prevent horrible and unscrupulous people from buying them secondhand
without giving IBM their cut, at least on the AS/400 level. You might
want to look at one of the heftier VAXen or Alphas running VMS-
different from UNIX and bulletproof, but still from within the same
"interactive terminal" mindset. The OpenVMS Hobbyist program and the
availability of free/low cost documentation and help is a big plus
there, too.
A VAX 7000 or AlphaServer 4k series will dim the lights on a branch
circuit, definitely, and if that doesn't cut it you can plug in a
couple of LaserJet IIISIs. Note that dim lights = low voltage = bad
news for extended operation of SMPSUs, though :).

Be patient: RealityEngines happen.