Taken: AT 286 motherboard with mathco

e.stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Sun Oct 14 09:53:06 CDT 2007

Jim Leonard wrote:
> I didn't either.  808x had about as long a run of usefulness as the
> other popular/surviving home computers at the time (I'm thinking Apple
> II, C64, Mac classic here), which was about 8 years.  As to why that is,
> I'm still trying to hammer out theories (additional ones are welcome),
> such as "the home computer software industry moved at a slower pace back
> then" or "computers cost so much back then that people expected them to
> last", etc.

I think people worked/played more with the computer more back then.
Meaning wrote utilities, improved stuff, changed something, and were
proud if it.

Now it (the pc a least) became a utility appliance like a toaster.
Nothing sexy about it anymore. And software is so bloated, it is hard
enough to just use it ;-)

Cheers