4004 and IC history / was Re: Vintage computer photogallery

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:30:13 CDT 2007

> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:33:29 -0600> From: bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> To: > Subject: Re: 4004 and IC history / was Re: Vintage computer photogallery> > dwight elvey wrote:> > > One could use 555 directly now days instead of the 9602s.> > These can output the needed voltage swing.> The only gotya I can guess might be timing delay between clock phases.

Hi
 Ok, use 4 555s to create each time span. I don't think the timing is
super critical. I still think it could be handled with just 2 555s because
on can control both rise and fall times with a 555. The main idea
it the voltage swing. Using CMOS is another option.
 One of the others mentioned creating the signals with a counter
and higher frequency clock. I think that is over kill when analog timers
should be enough.
Dwight