VAXen at home

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 16 16:10:05 CDT 2007

On 16 Oct 2007 at 21:49, Jules Richardson wrote:

> Was that rating for the entire system, or just the CPU & I/O (no drives etc.)?

Sounds like the usual 40 HP setup for the CPU+I/O.  Larger systems
with more I/O sometimes added a 20 HP MG.  The beautiful things about
these was that you didn't need much in the way of filtering (400Hz 3-
phase gives a ripple frequency of 2400 Hz) or regulation (usually
accomplished with a panel meter and a 3-phase variac.

Of course, that's not taking into account the need for HVAC and
chilled water supply...  CDC Sunnyvale Ops had a big cooling tower --
sent up a plume that you could see from a long distance away when the
smog wasn't too thick.

Cheers,
Chuck