Amdahl Mainframe - The great trip

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:02:33 CDT 2007

Robert Borsuk wrote:
> Curse you who mentioned this Mainframe on the list.
> My love of big iron couldn't let it go to the dumpster.  Check out the
> trip for this monster on my family blog at
>
> http://www.borsuk.us
>
> Any ex-Amdahl administrators out there?

I would have definitely rented a diesel box-van with a ten-speed for
that one.  You have big brass ones, sir.

I moved a machine roughly that size in a regular 24' Penske box truck
once.  I had enough ratchet straps, but the problem was that the wood
tie-down strapping wasn't beefy enough to stop the machines rolling.
They got a bit dented.

Imagine moving a machine ten times that big, or more.  I've done it.  It
sucked.  It was worth it.

Peace...  Sridhar