FPUs for small computers (Was: What to download for a PDP-8)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Oct 17 20:37:33 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 13:21, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2007 at 12:09, Jim Battle wrote:
> > Finally, I recall seeing an article where somebody took a pocket
> > calculator chip and essentially poked simulated keystrokes at it and
> > then decoded the LED driver output to determine the answer.  It was very
> > slow, though, so all it saved was the space of the floating point
> > library code.
>
> I remember that one.  It may have been an early issue of Byte.

It may have been,  as it sounds familiar to me too.

> I also wondered at the time if any speed was gained over just running
> plain old x80 code.

I guess in those days RAM was considered quite expensive?

I remember an article which I'm also pretty sure was in early Byte that talked
about how there was plenty of address space,  and how 1-bit-wide storage
might be useful for some things.

-
M Dakin